Sunday, January 30, 2011

Materialities of Writing

My first thoughts,

It was different writing an essay in crayon because I felt it harder to get my ideas on the page.  The colored crayons distracted me while writing and I found it harder to write more sophisticated.  Also, not having a spell check was tough to deal with as I felt that I spelled many things wrong.  Even though the task seemed difficult, I found myself writing a little more creatively.  The colors would brighten up my mind and make me think differently and more outside the box.  Unfortunately, I do feel that my writing grammatically and structurally suffered some because of the crayons.  It was tedious and definitely uncomfortable which made me have a tougher time explaining my ideas thoroughly on the page.  Although awkward and tedious, I enjoyed the assignment because it was fun and helped me think outside the box.  I felt that If the assignment was a creative writing assignment then I would feel very comfortable writing in colored crayons.  With the crayons I felt that I needed to do more artwork then writing, which made it difficult to write a serious response to a poem.

A Culture With Only Crayons,

With only crayons as writing implements, peoples true colors and personalities would show.  With a generic MLA formatted paper, boundaries are set and no aspects of a person's feelings or personalities are shown except for in the writing itself.  By combining art and writing, a person's thoughts and ideas are expressed through how they decide to set up the paper and the colors they use. The society we live in today consists of many different ways and materials to write, but people stick to the computer and typing.  Writing with crayons, markers and other colored implements are seen as unprofessional and childish.  Not only that, people in today's society would quickly become annoyed and impatient with only using crayons.

Writing Implements,


Depending on what writing implement a person uses, much can be said about a person's personality.  I would like to explore more about writing creatively with different writing implements like markers, chalk and more about crayons.  By using these different implements, I can write more creatively.  But, the most important aspect of writing is getting your point across to the reader.  So by being able to successfully get a strong point across with any writing implement, a person that is a decent writer becomes a believable and great writer.  The writing space did not pose much of an issue for me as it did not effect my content.  I did feel obliged to fill up the space so I wrote a little bigger which created an awkwardness and made me feel more uncomfortable. If I had to write and produce work on a large or different sized paper frequently I would slowly get inpatient and frustrated with the writing and it would eventually have an effect on my content.

1 comment:

  1. Did the writing space of the large paper impact the content of your writing? how does material shape meaning?

    ReplyDelete